What is the Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary?
The Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary is an international association of the Catholic faithful established “to praise and honor the Blessed Virgin Mary and to secure her patronage by the recitation of the Rosary for the mutual spiritual benefit of all the members throughout the world.” Each member of the Rosary Confraternity strives to pray the three Rosaries (15 decades) each week (Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious Mysteries).
What are the Responsibilities of Joining the Confraternity?
As a requirement of membership, each member of the Confraternity strives to pray the three Rosaries (fifteen decades) each week and to include the other members of the Confraternity in their intentions. This is the sole obligation of membership in Rosary Confraternity. It does not bind under pain of sin (which means it is not a sin if you fail to pray your 15 decades as a Member).
- Meditation on the Mysteries of the Christ is necessary as part of praying the Rosary.
- The intentions of the other members are to be included in one’s prayers. This can be done by making a “general intention” to always include their intentions and this does not need to be explicitly repeated every time one prays the Rosary.
What are the Spiritual Benefits of Joining the Confraternity?
- The intercession and special protection of Our Lady, the Queen of Heaven.
- A share in the prayers and the good works of countless thousands of Rosary Confraternity members throughout the world and in heaven.
- A share in the good works and prayers of the Order of Preachers (Dominican Order).
- For members of the Confraternity, a plenary indulgence is granted under the usual conditions on the day of enrollment (the day indicated on the register/certificate) as well as the feast days of Christmas, Easter, the Annunciation, the Assumption of Our Lady, the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, the Immaculate Conception, and Our Lord’s Presentation in the Temple.
- A plenary indulgence is also granted, under the usual conditions, to all who pray the rosary in a Church or oratory, in a family (family rosary), religious community, or in a pious association of the faithful. Otherwise, the indulgence is partial.
How do I join the Confraternity?
To join the Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary, simply fill out this form and submit it to the National Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help. Due to the nature of the spiritual benefits of membership, you should sign up individually, even if you are joining as a couple or family. Enrollment is normally done on the next first Sunday of the month at our 6:30pm Family Rosary (on-site and live-streamed). The enrollment date will be recorded on your Certificate of Membership in the Confraternity and will then be mailed or emailed to you within the following 7-10 business days. Please Note: Members with addresses outside the USA will have their certificates emailed. Please double-check your name (spelling & capitalization) – how you enter it here is how it will appear on your Certificate.
What happens if I don’t pray my 15 decades of the Rosary?
It is not a sin not to say your weekly Rosaries. You will only miss out on the graces and blessings that would have come through your prayers.
If I already pray 15 decades (or more) of the Rosary each week, do I need to pray more of them?
If you are already praying 15 decades of the Rosary each week, you do not need to pray additional decades to satisfy this requirement of the Confraternity.
Are there meetings or dues required to be a member of the Confraternity?
There are NO meetings or dues required to be a member of the Confraternity. You may receive occasional emails alerting you to news or events at The Shrine related to the Confraternity. We encourage you to join us at the Shrine (or online) when we pray our Family Rosary on Sunday nights at 6:30pm Central.